Skip to main content

Ebira Celebrity Profile: Eugenia Abu

Eugenia Abu is one of Nigeria’s foremost Broadcasters. In 1995 she won the Nigerian Media Merit Award for TV Newscaster of the year. A prize winning Essayist, Poet, Short Story Writer, her works have appeared in The Guardian Newspapers, Leadership, This Day Newspapers, Daily Trust and the Association of Nigerian Author’s publication Themes Fall Apart but the Centre Holds (2008).

This Ebira, Kogi state born mother, broadcaster and writer had her first published Book, a collection of Essays "In the Blink of an Eye" (Spectrum 2007) won the ANA/NDDC Flora Nwapa Prize for best female writing in 2008.

Eugenia is a 1981 graduate of English from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and has a Master Degree in Communications Policy Studies from the City University, London (1992). An engaging Motivational Speaker and multimedia strategist, Eugenia delivered the 2009 Nigerian Independence Anniversary Lecture in Perth, Western Australia.

How did you get into Television?

"By accident! I had finished youth service with OGBC Abeokuta and joined the Benue State Ministry of Information, Makurdi, where I worked for 6 months. While I was there, I was given the responsibility of producing and presenting the T.V program called Benue State Government half hour. Before then, I had never really presented anything on T.V, so it was just a learning process. After all the learning, the general manager of NTA Makurdi asked me to join them; which I did after I got married".

Eugenia became a broadcaster by accident. She had done some broadcasting in 1979 while waiting to begin her degree programme for about three months on vacation job at the Radio Benue, Makurdi. After she graduated from ABU Zaria in 1981, broadcasting found her again, as she puts it. She did her youth service with the Ogun State Radio, Abeokuta. After her NYSC, she worked at the Benue State Ministry of Information between 1982-1983 before joining NTA Makurdi. “When people walk off the streets whom you have never met and show you warmth and congratulate you on a job well done, that is a Blast!” her voice echoes.

She started writing poetry, short stories and a bit of drama when she was seven years old. Her father allowed her read many books in his library and encouraged her to buy books, too. Little wonder she dedicated her first book, In the Blink of an Eye, to the memory of her dad, the late Mr. Alfred Amodu, “a fantastic man” she owed her passion for writing to, as well as her poetry teacher when she was in Class 3, a white lady called Mrs. Whittle. “Today I am a poet, thanks to her. She made poetry exciting in A.B.U staff school, Zaria, where I finished primary school,” she carols in a quiet lobby at Yets Guest House, Wuse Zone 5.

For five years, she had been wishing to write a book, but her hectic job and having to run a home as a mother were a hindrance. “I wished for the book but books are not about wishes,” she says. But, last year, she took a look at most of her writings and decided to compile them. “My husband, of course, encouraged me to ‘do something with them’, especially since they were growing in number, turning up everywhere you turn in my house,” she reveals. The three hundred-page book could have been bigger, but she lost some articles written earlier and, in the run up to press, she missed out one of her favourite articles, the one on her friend and mentor on issues of women in development, Professor Felicia Ekejiuba.

The book is a collection of the articles she has writing over the years on social justice, nationalism, gender, fashion, literature, moral issues, education, travelogues. Most of the articles in the book had been earlier published in The Guardian.
In the Blink of an Eye, is a non-fiction. “I am widely travelled, and it reflects in my writing. Converting the pieces to fiction, I am afraid, just won’t work. But using them as pointers for fictional characters, or a fictional plot, yes, I believe one genre will enrich the other,” she comments on the possibility of writing a fiction out of the travelogues.

She studied English at ABU, and her literary background reflects in her writing, especially in the use of graphic description and conversational style. Should a journalist/writer have a persona style? “I believe a journalist or writer should have a personal style,” she says. “But not everybody has this gift. It’s a special attribute and gift. Some reporters cannot be columnists because of lack of stylistics in writing. But most columnists can report, and this is where I am blessed. I believe am gifted with storytelling skills, and this affects my non-fiction style. I write like am telling an old friend a story. This truly pleases my readers and fans. This is why those who have not yet picked up a copy of In the Blink of an Eye feel like something in their literary life is missing. I feel truly blessed to possess this gift and the fact that am a poet helps to position me as what my friends describe as ‘an elegant writer’. I am honoured.

“As a columnist, you need to have a certain sense of style. Writers are different, so are columnists. Some are more elegant that others. I find that my style is very easy to read, and I have also heard witty comments by people on it. The juxtaposition of words, the conversational style and the knack for storytelling are, I guess, what endears my readers to me. It’s a gift and, again, I am grateful to the almighty. It is good to have a peculiar style as identification for your writing style, but it is also good to be able to break the mould and diversify. Style, I believe, is a personal choice. A consistent style is good but can also label a writer as not being versatile.

“It’s the reason why fiction writers try to write non-fiction, biographies, etcetera, and why poets attempt to write short stories. I am a very lucky writer. I am multi-genred and difficult to pigeonhole. But, in terms of style, I try to keep it simple, give it a twist at the end or a punch line to keep you thinking. I can actually identify reporters by their style of writing both in print and TV if they don’t have their byline. That’s the essence of style,” she says.

Most of what she does at NTA have to do with writing; reading the news on TV is just one of the many things she does there. “Broadcasting is beyond reading the news. There is production, scripting, editing, research, checks and counter-checks. Unfortunately, it’s on-air presentation that people see and conclude to be broadcasting, because it is the most visible,” she says.

Eugenia is very excited by the literary scene in Nigeria. “We have many young persons with stories to die for. There is brilliant writing from everywhere. It’s a renaissance,” she announces, adding that the numerous prizes (NLNG, Pat Utomi, the Wole Soyinka and ANA) are responses to the vibrant literary scene. Though she admits the literary scene is exciting, she believes there are still gaps. “Good writers are still walking the tight rope; rejections are high because of the dearth of publishers and lack of editors. There is also poor writing skills. Good stories that are badly written. There are too many good writers with nowhere to go. We need to have a group of writers who will form a watering hole for writers to bounce back on, a group that can serve as a link between the publisher and a good writer. Funding plays a major role.”

She would like Nigerian publishers to promote yheir books more: abroad the money publishers put on promotion is phenomenal, so sales will definitely increase and the writers are better off and respected. “If you see a book promo everywhere you go, you will be forced to buy the book,” she says. She is planning a tour of the country with her new book.

She is a fan of Chimamanda Adichie. In the years to come, do we see her as another Chimamanda? She chuckles and says, “I think Chimamanda is a gifted writer.” She not only read her first book, Purple Hibiscus, she reviewed it, as well as predicting that she would be a star with her style of writing. She has read her other works, especially her short stories. “Short story writing, which is one of my favourite genres, is given to only master storytellers.

The skills required are more nimble and they are more difficult to bring to an end and I think she has acquitted herself in this genre. Maybe because I enjoy writing short stories, I am partial to her short stories; they are beautifully written,” she declares.
“I don’t know about wanting to become another Chimamanda. I started writing a long time ago but have only just started pursuing my writing passion with vigour. I admire her tenacity, her ability to devote her time and life to writing, which has paid off. Perhaps one day I might also commit my time and then have the luxury of calling myself a writer and an author who does nothing else but write. Broadcasting may let me go for a while to soak in my favourite thing of all time, writing. Time will tell,” she says.

WHAT DOES MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY MEAN TO YOU?
EUGENIA ABU: Making a difference in my community means everything to me. The world is constantly looking for role models. Communities deserve role models, are thirsty for it even if you consider that what you do is insignificant or too lowly. There are young people with no focus and no future who can change as a result of what you said and how you said it. We can all make a difference. It may be your loyalty to your boss or your thoroughness at your work. Role modelling is a huge community service and selfless too. More people should impact their communities through exemplary living. Exemplary leadership is too highfaluting even. Just exemplary living will do. People watch you. As a growing child, you may complain endlessly about your parents but there would be a neighbour, a doctor, a writer, a bricklayer, a hairdresser, a driver whom you adored. Exemplary living by these neighbours can change a child’s life and impact community.

In the summer I teach Creative Writing to children between the ages of 7-14 years and it is one of my more exciting projects, The Treasured Writers. The reward of making a difference in your community is awesome. Also I try to put something in place for the less privileged, I support St. Vincent de Paul, a society for the less privileged in my church (I am Catholic). Also, I try to send books, provide furniture, send pencils when I can to the schools n my community and my husband’s community in Kogi state. There is an afterglow with community service, it is indescribable. Soon I will start something with caregivers in hospitals around Abuja, people who look after their relations in hospitals. It is very traumatic. People care more about the sick person. Caregivers also go through their own stress and need help and empathy.

I also mentor two or three young persons a year. I take them in as my Personal Assistants and pay them a stipend. But when they leave, they have learnt so much. Everyone should be encouraged to do the same. Build a well rounded community, mentor a young person today.

Culled-with slight modifications-from the following sources:

www.euginiaabu.com
www.123people.co.uk
www.sunnewsonline.com
www.thestreethawker.com

Comments

  1. Are u sure she an anebira, cos her is an igala man.
    If u say yes will our pple allow her to contest for any postion in ebira land

    ReplyDelete
  2. I M HAPPY AND I AM PROUD OF HER. I NEVER KNEW SHE IS ANEBIRA. WILL OUR EBIRA SISTERS EMULATE AND ASPIRE TO BE LIKE HER/ SO MANY OF THEM ARE NOT SERIOUSE WITH THEIR EDUCATION AND SOME WHO ARE GRADUATING ARE NOT PRODUCTIVE IN THEIR SKILLS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please include your name in your comments.
Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Ebira Names and their meaning, Names, Meanings, Sex

Asimi: If mankind will allow me the survival of this child. F Ajimituhuo: Spare me today till tomorrow, which day metaphorically continues till eternity (since tomorrow has no end). M Avidime: The initiator who work is subsequently perfected by those following him in life. M Asipita: A child of History. M Amewuru: The harbinger of confusion, or the man who causes chaos. M Adeku: Father of masquerade. M Adabara: Father of the  compound. M Adajinege: The tallest of them. M Adavize: Father is wealth. M Adeiza: Father of fortune/gift/kindness. M Adomuha: Father of able body man. M Adooro: The one that is a stumbling block Ahovi: A chief custodian of the traditional Oracle. M Aduvo: Father of hand. M Ajooze: The one standing on the way. M Adinoyi: The father of the multitude who serves as a protective umbrella shielding others in need of such protection. M Adaviruku: Name usually given to the heir of the family. M Ajinomo: In memory of Ebira war with the Fukanis where Ebi

The case of Ahmed Awela, Murtala (Eti Bobo) among other Ebira youths

Ismail M. Kabir, Lagos. Between controversial existence and a contentious exit. There are various sides to a story. For an event that happens with few or no significant eye witness, the news come in different versions; some partially correct, others completely cooked up. In some cases, such non-witnessed event pass round as rumour until eventually confirmed. Rumour it was, when a phone call from Okene announced the death of two famous Ebira youths! They were killed by the Police, reported the news. Being on a Sunday when nothing too special should ensue save for the usual church services and social functions, the news sounded as the most unexpected, as a matter of fact, incredible! The thought of losing such youths on an ordinary day like Sunday undoubtedly was the reason for the astonishment. Not a single person of Ebira origin, within or outside the soil would believe such shocker upon first hearing. Text messages, phone calls and of course physical enquiries lingered, all in an atte

The Obege legend

In the earliest generations when the art of magic was yet a myth to the people, there was born a boy into a family of hunters in the village of Eika - one of the six communities that comprised the ancestral groups. He was believed to have been born with a leaf in his hand and to the elders of then, that was prognostic of what he would be - a native healer. And had grown up performing wonders. His kinsmen were all hunters, they would deny the boy the opportunity to follow them hunting, purely on age ground - and he was really too young to go hunting in the forest. They would leave him in the house with the women as they set out on their hunting expedition. But they had meet the young Obege in the forest roasting a fair member of the forest’s game, all alone - and unarmed! The elders had to defer to this wonderful boy. Obege as an adult was more than human. His fame had spread all over the land: he was a healer of most seemingly incurable diseases, he was a rain maker, assumed more divin