Skip to main content

Ebira Celebrity Profile: Mercy Johnson

Updated: 29th July, 2009

This Gown cost me 10,000 Dollars

Star actress Mercy Johnson was simply the most gorgeously and chicly dressed at the maiden edition of City People Entertainment Awards held at Velley View Hall, Government House, Abeokuta, Ogun State. The Okene, Kogi State born actress travelled to South Africa to buy the gown. read more




UPDATED: Jan 10th, 2009


Men Want A Piece Of Me - Mercy Johnson
By gbenga Bada (Saturday Independent)



Within the next few months, Mercy Johnson, one of Nollywood most popular faces, would be returning to the citadel of learning to get herself a professional degree in one of the universities abroad. Though she wouldn't disclose the university and the particular course she is going to read, the dark-skinned actress, who has travelled all over the world, seems to know what she wants from the industry that has given her fame within the last few years of her incursion.
Mercy Johnson revealed some of her fears and moves in the next few years to Klieglights.
"I'm about to go back to school, in some months time, I would be on the campus of a university outside Nigeria studying to earn a degree.
"I think I have put in so much into my work that I'm going to have to give myself another life outside this. So for now, I just want to go back to school. Of course, I won't be there permanently, I would be coming back to the country regularly after my school sessions or when the school is on break."
Isn't' this Okene, Kogi State indigene scared of being forgotten if she leaves the industry for a period of time given the many new faces of Nollywood?
"I'm prepared because you have to leave for someone else to come in, the whole fun isn't for just one person alone. The crown is open for everyone, you have to make your mark while you are there and leave the scene for others to grow but as soon as you are back, you are reckoned with again because your marks are like imprints that have remained in the industry."
Said to have been born into the family of an ex-naval officer in the early 1980's, Mercy, cut her teeth in the movie industry with her role in Kenneth Nnebue's movie, The Maid.
This curvy star actress, who occupies the fourth position in a family of seven children, has no doubt made her mark with over 60 films to her credit since her foray into the film industry in 2002.
"For me, Nollywood was a career and a choice I had to make, others wanted to be doctors, lawyers and engineers but I always wanted to be an actress. It's something I wanted to be part of the growing and creative process and thank God, I made it.
"I got into the industry as a result of my failure in JAMB exams. I felt I couldn't sit at home and my father wanted me to go to a computer school, which I did but after then, I decided it was time to go into acting. When I joined, the terrain wasn't an easy ground like many thought. A movie by a senior colleague actually spurred my resolve to make it in Nollywood," the leggy and curvy actress revealed.
Who is the senior colleague, one might just be prompted to ask?
"She is Genevieve (Nnaji). I have a cordial relationship with her and I see her as one of my motivators. We've been on the same set before and the experience is just wonderful and our relationship is just cordial. She is a good person, who is always ready to teach and work with you for your own betterment. She also offers encouragement in every way and she once bought me an expensive pair of shoes. She's a good person, female senior colleague and someone I admire," Mercy said glowingly of star actress, Genevieve.
It will be hitting the nail on the head to say that Mercy is sexy. Perhaps that is the fact behind her barring a lot of flesh. So what has it been like with men?
Mercy has a very quick reply: "You just know where to draw the line-some men stalk you. I can remember one who called himself a naval officer and said he would kill me if I didn't give him money or fell in love with him. Some men are mild and gentle, some are insulting but whichever way it goes, it makes you feel appreciated and good. The truth is that I have a lot of men wanting to have one thing or the other to do with me but I know where to draw the line."
So, who is the guy in her heart at the moment?
"No guy for now! Nothing really. I mean, I just wouldn't dabble into that for now. I just got out of a relationship and I just wouldn't want to talk about it but all I know is no guys for now. Of course, it would happen and you would see me at an event with the guy but not now!"
With these statements, one would definitely wonder if this lady is planning to settle down for marriage anytime soon. "Next Year!" was the quick answer Mercy gave.
Continuing, she said: "I want to start next year with my husband and that's if I don't do it earlier than that. There's no one in particular, it's just part of my thinking. Time waits for nobody and I don't want any guy now but when I have to, I'm going to make sure that I sit down and open my eyes. It doesn't have to be a courtship of four years or more, but I'm just going to open the year with it.
"I'm a lady and I have a lot of guys, who want me but I'm really not into guys for now. But I would cope with making a choice because some won't meet up to your taste, others won't know how to talk to you, some won't know how to pet or care for you, so you just keep dropping until you get the right person as a choice!"
Quite calculative yet humble and humorous, Mercy couldn't help giving much thanks and accolades to her naval officer father, who is responsible for the push that made her a force in Nollywood.
"My dad has been a great and major influence on my career. He gave and provided for me all the love and support to make me be where I am today. I still live with my parents and siblings and I have good rapport with them," she said.
Friendship in Nollywood has become something many actresses run away from-especially the popular ones-and this is because of the heartbreak it causes whenever they fall out. As such, what is her relationship with colleagues in the industry?
"I don't really have friends in the industry at least, none that I know about. I've only got colleagues and acquaintances. I still hang out with most of my friends from school because I'm more comfortable with them irrespective of the stardom. This is because friendship is more, it's precious, it could mar, make and kill one and I hold it in high esteem," she said deeply.
Mercy's prowess in interpreting sexy and romantic roles, which involves kissing passionately, has been a source of interest for movie buffs. How does the family respond to this? She takes a deep breath and answered: "I am from a very strict Christian family though my dad rarely watches movies, I give him some of the good ones to see. I'm not saying that the romantic thing is bad because it is still my job. Critics should be more concerned about my private life, which is affected when such criticisms are made. They may see my work and complain about it. I try not to exceed the boundaries but also be professional about it. Once it's cut, I stop. I am a very responsible girl. I draw the line between my work and pleasure.
"You see, I enjoy positive criticism, which I believe is geared to change something wrong about me but I completely ignore negative criticism," she said.
Several actresses have several takes on nudity but for this movie siren: "Nudity! No! I could only go a little sexy and show some curves, reveal a little but barring it all is just impossible. I mean forget it! Well, I could only go semi bare but not nude."
For a well-travelled young lady, who is doing well for herself in her career of choice, one would expect her to draw comparisons between Nollywood and other movie industries in Europe or America.
"Nollywood is a working success that definitely needs time to grow. However, we lack professionalism, standard equipments, sincerity, creativity and technicality. We honour mediocrity that is what people want to be, not what they should be. When discipline starts becoming the prominent thing in Nollywood, then, the industry would be better off. Discipline, I believe is the first step to a better Nollywood. Aside this, several other things are not in place and it all borders on mediocrity," this was Mercy's sincere opinion of the industry.
And does she have any regrets for being a star?





..............................................................................





She is another Nollywood wonder girl who shot into limelight via the hit flick "The Maid" produced by Kenneth Nnebue of NEK Video Links. Her superb interpretation of the role of possesed house-keeper earned her negative appellation from emotion-laden viewers who were swift to despise her guts. Nevertheless, talented Mercy Johnson has cut her teeth in the make belief business with superlative performances in numerous flicks. But the society has failed to draw a line her personality and creativity. This talented artiste is no longer in doubt as producers jostle to feature her in their works.

Born in the early 80's, Mercy Johnson is the fourth child in a family of seven and hails from Okene, Kogi state. Her father, who is an ex-Naval officer, was always transfered from one station to another and being the apple of his eyes, little Mercy had to take along with him.

Supposedly, she attended the Nigerian Navy primary and secondary schools. Presently, she is studying Language at the Lagos State University. But how did mercy, who says she wants to be a legend, join the movie train? She recallswith nostalgia her days as an actress in seconday school and announces that she joined Nollywood professionally in 2002. Four years after, Mercy's meteoric rise has seen her doing over forty movies. Despite the challenges that has come her way, she gives God the crdit for the movie roles she has been able to get. Some of her popular flicks include THE MAID, KILL THE BRIDE, LAST KISS, MY HEART YOUR HOME, PAY BACK, SWEET MAMA, UNDER THE SKY etc.

Mercy's prowess in interpreting sexy and romantic roles that sometimes involves kissing and smooching has been a source of controversy for movie followers. How does the family respond to this? She takes a deep breath and with a twitch in her eyes, answers: "I am from a very strict christian family though my dad rarely watch movie, I give him some of the good ones to see. I am not saying that the romantic thing is bad is bad because is my job. the people I should be more concerned about are my younger siblings. They may see my work and complain about it. I try no to exceed the boundaries and at the same time, do it right. I am very emotionally entangled with my movie colleagues. Once it's cut, I stop. I am a very responsible girl. I draw the line between my work and pleasure."

Sometimes, she turns down movie scripts. Sexual harrassment has never been her bane. Mercy views nude stripping or acting as madness and insists that civilization should not over shadow our African heritage that cherishes decency and womanhood. According to her, a Woman's body is her pride and must not be exposed offensively. The fast rising actress considers her life worthy of emulation and tries as much as possible to accomodate both old and new friends. Nevertheless, she admits that stardom has limited her privacy.

What is her love life like, you may want to know? She laughs at it. "I am very romantic. I am single but not searching. I love very humorous guys who can make me laugh. I also like God fearing people. Anybody that does not have Christ is lost."

Have you found him already? This question drew general laughter and was left unanswered. Before we concluded the interview, I sought to know her level of awareness in current affairs; Mercy not only gave the name of the incumbent president of Liberia but also recited the national Anthem.

Finally, my reservations not withstanding, star actress Mercy Johnson, came across as well as brought home girl whose artistic expertise has been misrepresented by many a movie bluff.

Culled from Hints Magazine, Sept. 25, 2006.

Comments

  1. Mercy, You are simply too good in your acting skills to be true! Ignore those critics, believe more in yourself. Remember where u r coming from and going. Your fans are more in tune to you than you realise presently. Stay away from negative issues. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. obviously,, this is the best 'actress' nollywood has ever produced she's a dark horse followed by her is Geneveive... I stressed actress bcos she actually does the job she gets paid for... watch her movies she's an highly talented actress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnson, i have watched several of your movies and seen how you can change from one character to Another. You are great. However, i feel you should not have accepted The Keziah role. NKalubo Dickson from Uganda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dear u are making us proud,wa take an easy jo.thank

    ReplyDelete
  5. i support the Ugandan Boy Dickson, the kezih is the worst movie that has come out of nolly wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY ADMIRE U N UR ACTING SKILLS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess you are outstanding and iam feeling your style,flow,nature and ultimately your amazing beauty.always, i check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. U said u dont blive in exposin ur body offensively den why is it dat in every role u do u expose ur boobs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I simply think you are the best. I am one of your biggest admirers in Ghana(kumasi).never mind critics.please take the lessons in her movies and forget what she wears.Ghanaians love and admire u. George Asafo-Adjei(kumasi)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mercy keep t up, but try 2 wash d way u dress e.g d way u dress in d cooperate maid was not too gud at all
    u almost pose nude when u r comin out frm d bathroom. As a xtian u must wash wot u do no matter how much is involved. God wil surely take u 2 whereever He want 2 take u 2 without xposin ur body. Lov uuu wit d lov of God. ABAS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my name is nnamdi udekwe.

    Mercy, you are always great in your acting roles'' keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to say thanks to Mercy for her great talent, she works hard on her crafts. But it is time for Nollywood to start going to the next level now, more creativity please. The industry has the talents available, we need to see more chalenging roles for these stars.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my dearest mercy,je t'adore...definition of a true actress,full of talent(can act any role)both good and evil.i like your style and your shape dey kill me...keep it up...Queen Otoghile

    ReplyDelete
  14. my dearest mercy,je t'adore...definition of true actress,full of talent(can act ant role both good and evil.i like your style and your shape dey kill me...keep it up...Queen Otoghile

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mercy, you are great, i love watching your movies but, the rule you played in cooperate maid was too baaaaaaaaad pls. watch your dressing.
    Keep the great job going!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i realy wish i could get to meet dis charming actres ,u are a queen............and also a gud actres...................all grace 2 ur elbow...........u are always ma best......................

    ReplyDelete
  17. mercy u r simply da bom! personally i think ur a determined diva who noes where shez goin so kip up d gud work i wont 4get u and pls no 4get ur roots o!! ma last wrds r "bi ode ba ti le pada wale o" chao sista

    i rilly am ur no 1 fan

    ReplyDelete
  18. mercy na wa o d way u dey open body wetin b ur insentive but i still thik ur ok sha but pls spear us d exposure of the boobs pleaaaaase

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mercy, Just finished seeing one of your movies and i quickly got into the net to read about you.I think i like your perception of what life should be for a lady in your career.Keep up with the smart work on screen.You just added to the number of fans in your list.Write me on ezeonyeizu@yahoo.com and i would spend more time to tell you where i see in the nearest future.Be positive with what drives you.God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i wish u all the best in life goodluck and stay bless i like u so much and the almighty God will see u through

    ReplyDelete
  21. dis is tosin ijiwole.u are kul but we nid 2 see less of ur boobs.u really are a great actress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey girl,i really admire especailly when u act an emotional role.i really luv the shakira movie.keep it up.Ghanaians love u.(Fisca)

    ReplyDelete
  23. u are one of the best actress in nollyhood,ghanaians love u,so my girl just keep the fire burning and the sky will be ur limit.-sefakor.

    ReplyDelete
  24. mercy u are just a great person. just be focus and know where u are going and where u are coming from.i wish u all the best in ur study u are about going 4.and please dont allow peoples words to let u down bcos people will definately talk about u ok. take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. MERCY,the most important thing is that you are happy with yourself and what you are doing.keep the good work up.never listen to what people think or say about you.its all about you thing about youself.YOU ARE THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  26. mecy babe, i like ur acting so much, but u dont need to expose ur boobs 4 the little kids watching u at home.u said genevevi was ur role model and a senior in the movie industry, pls check out all her movies she doesnt expose her self. pls learn 4rm her.i dont like the way u expose urself in the movie :shakira: onelove alwaz. ij

    ReplyDelete
  27. You act very well, I like that but stop expossing you breast

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mercy, I just watch one of ur movies 'SHAKIRA' although I didn't watch from the start it was almost at the end, since I cann't resist any movie that got Mercy Johnson in it I had to still watch it. You are gud girl! I wish u success in ur studies. Don't mind critics, be focus, and return in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. keep it up girl the sky is ur limit. dont mind what people say cos they will always have something to say either positively or nagetively. we're proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. mercy johnson is the most wonderful actress I have never seen in the world she is pretty, beauty,sexy and many more to be said my contribution to her is that any body that has her contact should let my know so that I will invite her to my hotel where she will open my hotel not for any other thing but also to act for me in my ceremonial home as well.dybnjp@yahoo.com is my e-mail

    ReplyDelete
  31. mercy johnson[] inya avu dahi??? me sireyi umeme take e roles auh inni movies...mii vesi kamayeu hunna'ani... seiipenhuwa ohhh aguvika we zozo etetere... [[Translate to ur understanding]]] lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am an admirer of anything anebira and so excited to find out that you are one. I began to pay special attention to your movies and found out how great an actor you are. As you go about furthering your education, please stay in touch with acting because of your obvious talent. I wish that you soar higher in the sky of acting.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Babe,

    You are excellent physically and in terms of acting, you are sweet honey, I really love and cherish your way when ever I watch you on TV.

    I will advise you to keep it on no matter what people may say as long as you have specified your mind on your family that they should not take it otherwise.

    I don't have much to say only to tell you to be what you wish yourself to be and God in his infinity will grant you peace and protect you forever and ever Amen.

    Eluma.
    c.eluma@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love mercy i with to see you someday in my life i really admire im living in the usa my email is chcho_lov@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. mercy, u are second to none.keep up the good job. you are as dynamic as the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  36. im proud of u Mercy Johnson.U're an epitome of beauty and bountiful talent that abound from where you hail from.Adinoyi

    ReplyDelete
  37. you are re-writing kogi name in an adorable ways... keep flying.

    ReplyDelete
  38. inya anyarukoru, wamehawu kene k'enyireyi. arihini odame dukanayi shi ezianabira aname enwusuwamean ehii oooo. asuhiyayi ehi ooooo, osime kanayi si ohunene (lady tonia)oniri azani anavo (ezidi calabash)ateni anavo.

    u are born to reign, kip on flying its your time to shine. OZIOMA

    ReplyDelete
  39. u re a good actress bt try includin a little decency in ur manner of dressing,u dnt seem 2 portray or teach ur female sisters anytin gud wt ur mode of exposure.u dnt nid 2 go naked in tryn 2 b a gud actress,u can pik a leaf 4rm gud eggs lik Stella Damasus,Chioma Akpotha etc.

    ReplyDelete
  40. u act well bt u way of exposure is 2 bad.wat do u intend 2 portray 2 d young sisters?u dnt ve 2 go naked 2 b a gud actress.pik a leaf 4rm Genevieve,Stella Damasus,Chioma Akpotha,d gud eggs.we want ur actin nt ur breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE MERCY JOHNSON I CAN'T DO WITHOUT WATCHING HER FILMS SHE IS TO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  42. Omeiza Becky

    I seriously like ur acting, among the actress I nearly give u the best but ur mode of dressing is very bad u're putting Ebira ladies for granted then try to collect ur negative side and make us proud of u.

    ReplyDelete
  43. she is an amazing actress, i enjoying watching her. At the moment she is my best actress

    ReplyDelete
  44. after all the blah blah i want u period

    ReplyDelete
  45. My name is Ada Onyeka

    Mercy i love ur way, i enjoy watching ur movie all the time, i am one of ur biggest fan for real. Mercy i will like to be like u because i love the way u act, u put more act in any role u handle, u are too good. Well i want to be an actress too and i need ur help. my no is 08085992909, i will appreciate if u can contact me. thanks. one love

    ReplyDelete
  46. You dnt want people to call you prostitute and yet go everywhere exposing ur boobs even on Red Carpet event. Try watching foreign and local fashion, you will see exposing everytin doesnt make you classy.

    ReplyDelete
  47. She resembles my fiancee in every way - her sexylike and romantic roles in the movie. I always pull a chair to glue myself to the television when I see her name in the introductory gingles. Because of Mercy, I have developed a great love for my fiancee. She is also in the fourth position of a family of eight children. We are in Ghana and about to get married this year. OKA

    ReplyDelete
  48. Dis is JIMOH OTARU YAHAYA. Miss dont care abt wa pple is saying about d mode of ur dressing dey hv d freedom of using dere mouth to talk moreover u r actres and hv make nollywood to a higer level. Keep it up.(jim20115@yahoo.com or din.jim622@gmail.com. 07064578585

    ReplyDelete
  49. My name is omene blessing amarachi mercy i realy like the way u act, u ar realy talented keep it up and i will lov to be ur friend dis is my number
    07030653213 i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  50. hi dear, i never knew you are such a wonderful creature, until i have read of you now. well, i love you take care, be wise choose a nice and God fearing guy, pls don't go for anything apart from God's BLUE PRINT for your life!!! love u.

    ReplyDelete
  51. hi Dear. i'm proud of u, u are such a wonderful Sister, keep it up. am always excited whenever i watch ur role. keep it up Babe.
    i love uuuuuuuuuuuu.
    GRACE ASIKI

    ReplyDelete
  52. I am a South African male this this Mercy Johnson woman is unreal and she is an outstanding phenomenon. All i need is to see her in real life and touch her to confirm the reality existence of this black angel.Every day of my life i dream to meet up with this African Eagle. Make it easy for me guys please. From Steward Mcfreed.
    email mcfreedprojects@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey honey life is just unfair to place a precious diamond like you far from my reach.I did not understand the beauty of an African woman until you came along.Your acting is just sampling the afro- beauty, intelligence and the power of a real good looking woman.Do i have to say i fell in love with you from a distance? yes babes your lips your treasure take care contact +27 727946909 IkE Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Let me have your cell number mine is 08030645367

    ReplyDelete
  55. My dear mercy, i love your work and the way you carry yourself which is why am going to be sincere with you. please for d love of God that you sincerely believe in, try and minimize d rate at which you display your boobs its uncalled for. you are great in your artistic creativity which means you don't have expose your innermost flesh. my top most admirable artist in Nolly wood is you and your motivator(Genevieve)and i want you to emulate not just her work piece but also her dress sense. I luv you & your work even before i knew we re sisters and I'll continue to love you. more grease to your elbow love. Tanx

    ReplyDelete
  56. u are d most stupid actress i have ever seen even because we are 4rm d same state idddiiiiiiooooott

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please include your name in your comments.
Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Ebira Names and their meaning, Names, Meanings, Sex

Asimi: If mankind will allow me the survival of this child. F Ajimituhuo: Spare me today till tomorrow, which day metaphorically continues till eternity (since tomorrow has no end). M Avidime: The initiator who work is subsequently perfected by those following him in life. M Asipita: A child of History. M Amewuru: The harbinger of confusion, or the man who causes chaos. M Adeku: Father of masquerade. M Adabara: Father of the  compound. M Adajinege: The tallest of them. M Adavize: Father is wealth. M Adeiza: Father of fortune/gift/kindness. M Adomuha: Father of able body man. M Adooro: The one that is a stumbling block Ahovi: A chief custodian of the traditional Oracle. M Aduvo: Father of hand. M Ajooze: The one standing on the way. M Adinoyi: The father of the multitude who serves as a protective umbrella shielding others in need of such protection. M Adaviruku: Name usually given to the heir of the family. M Ajinomo: In memory of Ebira war with the Fukanis where Ebi

The case of Ahmed Awela, Murtala (Eti Bobo) among other Ebira youths

Ismail M. Kabir, Lagos. Between controversial existence and a contentious exit. There are various sides to a story. For an event that happens with few or no significant eye witness, the news come in different versions; some partially correct, others completely cooked up. In some cases, such non-witnessed event pass round as rumour until eventually confirmed. Rumour it was, when a phone call from Okene announced the death of two famous Ebira youths! They were killed by the Police, reported the news. Being on a Sunday when nothing too special should ensue save for the usual church services and social functions, the news sounded as the most unexpected, as a matter of fact, incredible! The thought of losing such youths on an ordinary day like Sunday undoubtedly was the reason for the astonishment. Not a single person of Ebira origin, within or outside the soil would believe such shocker upon first hearing. Text messages, phone calls and of course physical enquiries lingered, all in an atte

The Obege legend

In the earliest generations when the art of magic was yet a myth to the people, there was born a boy into a family of hunters in the village of Eika - one of the six communities that comprised the ancestral groups. He was believed to have been born with a leaf in his hand and to the elders of then, that was prognostic of what he would be - a native healer. And had grown up performing wonders. His kinsmen were all hunters, they would deny the boy the opportunity to follow them hunting, purely on age ground - and he was really too young to go hunting in the forest. They would leave him in the house with the women as they set out on their hunting expedition. But they had meet the young Obege in the forest roasting a fair member of the forest’s game, all alone - and unarmed! The elders had to defer to this wonderful boy. Obege as an adult was more than human. His fame had spread all over the land: he was a healer of most seemingly incurable diseases, he was a rain maker, assumed more divin