Skip to main content

Bello Adoke, Living A Purpose-Driven Life

By Abdulkarim Adubi Abdulmalik
As published by Greenbadge Reporters (September 3, 2014)....

On Monday, September 1st, Nigeria’s Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN), turned 51. His associates had wanted to give him a Birthday bash but he quietly turned it down. Last year, he did the same thing.
Bello Adoke, SAN
This is an irony; considering the fact that in this part of the world, praise-singing is an art, a very good art. The average man of immense financial or political influence is an emperor. He likes to be seen and praised by his benefactors just as he likes to shout from the roof tops; after all, in marketing, if you do not say “here I am, nobody says there you are.” But Adoke had always taken an exception to this since his youth.
I could recall that when in June, 1979, we completed our secondary education and were busy packing our baggage, he came from his hostel, Clark House, to my room in Oduduwa House and said, after exchanging pleasantry with me: “Adubi, here is a copy of my photograph for you. Find a space for it in your album so that you will continue to remember me in the event that we do not meet again.” That was a good sense of humility and attachment that only a few would do.
We parted ways. He grew to become a Lawyer while I became a Journalist. We did not meet again until 1991 when I was working at the Daily Times of Nigeria Plc, Lagos. One day, I was at the domestic wing of Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos to take a flight (Hold Trade Air) to Sokoto on an official assignment when we met. He had also come to take the same flight to Kano. We reconnected warmly. He took me to the VIP lounge and entertained me. He introduced me to some of his friends among who was the then Chief Executive of the Intercontinental Merchant Bank. When we were airborne, he relocated to the next seat to my right and did not leave me to join his friends until he alighted in Kano.
Less than six months after, we met at the Falomo, Ikoyi head office of the bank where I had gone to see one of the directors in the cause of my nosing for news. As the receptionist was trying to interrogate me, Adoke appeared, greeted me with a slight bow in recognition of age seniority. Promptly, he asked if I was having problem accessing the person I was there to see so that he could assist. I told him no even though I had not been cleared. He left me and went away. And for his sake, I was cleared by the receptionist who had earlier told me that it was not a visiting day. In the same vein, when I did my wedding on December 26, 1992, he attended despite the short notice and his tight schedule. That time, he was already making waves in his private legal practice. Since then, we had had occasional phone contacts, especially when I was General Manger, Zuma Radio, Abuja.
Currently a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Adoke has refused to jettison his simplicity and humility. One day, I went to his office to see him and he was very busy. After waiting for about two hours, he sent for me. When I entered, he was still at a meeting; he apologized for keeping me that long and asked me to take my seat while he concluded the meeting. On another day, I entered his office and he observed that I was down cast for obvious reason. I remained standing while he was sitting down. He said: “Adubi, today, you are standing and I am seating down; tomorrow, it could be the reverse.”
So, he appealed for my patience. It is also important to mention that whenever he was busy and I could not see him, I would, like many other visitors, wait outside. And whenever he comes out, he would breach protocol to attend to me. Each time we met, he would always ask of our other class mates; especially Murtala Lasisi (aka Ochapaniko) and Musa Yusuf. He remembers these people he has not seen for over 34 years as if it was yesterday.
He has never ignored his old friends. He extends this rare gesture to many others amidst his quiet charity as no fewer than 100 favour seekers throng his office weekly. His personal aides are also wonderful in assisting him to manage his time between his official responsibilities and his many visitors. Given the above, I wish to also attest to his humility, charitable spirit and rare gift to live for others. He is though temperamental, Adoke forgives easily and he moves on with his purpose driven life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebira Names and their meaning, Names, Meanings, Sex

Asimi: If mankind will allow me the survival of this child. F Ajimituhuo: Spare me today till tomorrow, which day metaphorically continues till eternity (since tomorrow has no end). M Avidime: The initiator who work is subsequently perfected by those following him in life. M Asipita: A child of History. M Amewuru: The harbinger of confusion, or the man who causes chaos. M Adeku: Father of masquerade. M Adabara: Father of the  compound. M Adajinege: The tallest of them. M Adavize: Father is wealth. M Adeiza: Father of fortune/gift/kindness. M Adomuha: Father of able body man. M Adooro: The one that is a stumbling block Ahovi: A chief custodian of the traditional Oracle. M Aduvo: Father of hand. M Ajooze: The one standing on the way. M Adinoyi: The father of the multitude who serves as a protective umbrella shielding others in need of such protection. M Adaviruku: Name usually given to the heir of the family. M Ajinomo: In memory of Ebira war with the Fukanis where Ebi

The case of Ahmed Awela, Murtala (Eti Bobo) among other Ebira youths

Ismail M. Kabir, Lagos. Between controversial existence and a contentious exit. There are various sides to a story. For an event that happens with few or no significant eye witness, the news come in different versions; some partially correct, others completely cooked up. In some cases, such non-witnessed event pass round as rumour until eventually confirmed. Rumour it was, when a phone call from Okene announced the death of two famous Ebira youths! They were killed by the Police, reported the news. Being on a Sunday when nothing too special should ensue save for the usual church services and social functions, the news sounded as the most unexpected, as a matter of fact, incredible! The thought of losing such youths on an ordinary day like Sunday undoubtedly was the reason for the astonishment. Not a single person of Ebira origin, within or outside the soil would believe such shocker upon first hearing. Text messages, phone calls and of course physical enquiries lingered, all in an atte

The Obege legend

In the earliest generations when the art of magic was yet a myth to the people, there was born a boy into a family of hunters in the village of Eika - one of the six communities that comprised the ancestral groups. He was believed to have been born with a leaf in his hand and to the elders of then, that was prognostic of what he would be - a native healer. And had grown up performing wonders. His kinsmen were all hunters, they would deny the boy the opportunity to follow them hunting, purely on age ground - and he was really too young to go hunting in the forest. They would leave him in the house with the women as they set out on their hunting expedition. But they had meet the young Obege in the forest roasting a fair member of the forest’s game, all alone - and unarmed! The elders had to defer to this wonderful boy. Obege as an adult was more than human. His fame had spread all over the land: he was a healer of most seemingly incurable diseases, he was a rain maker, assumed more divin